Are you a Simpsons fan?
Well, do you remember the saxophone that Lisa played?
Well, that my friend is a curved soprano sax.
Curved soprano sax is the second most popular soprano saxophones out there right now.
Second only to the straight soprano sax.
The main difference between these two is definitely the sound. It’s obviously different. The curved sax is tuned in B flat and the straight sax is tuned to the key of E flat. The curved soprano sax sounds way more fuller because the mouthpiece faces closer to the ear.
Some say it sounds richer too. I’m not sure about that but it does sound more awesome.
To make a long story short, beginners like the Curved Sopranos more. It’s because of the shape and the typical sound of a saxophone that we’ve all become accustomed too.
Here we look at the best curved soprano saxs that are out there for the year 2019:
Hawk Curved Soprano
- Includes deluxe case, neck strap, mouthpiece, ligature, reed and cap
- Easy-action springs
- High quality leather pads
- Key of Bb
- High F# and G keys
Overall a great curved soprano saxophone but it does seem to have intonation problems.
So a quick and lasting remedy would be to get another mouthpiece. In addition, it comes with a mouthpiece, a case, and a few other things. Some do report disliking it for various reasons but it’s a popular choice for more experienced players.
There seems to be a quality control issue here so I hope the Hawk team figures that out soon.
Birdland Soprano Sax
- B flat gold soprano saxophone produces sonorous fat sound that is worthy of demanding musicians.
- Our soprano sax has reliable mechanisms and totally meets technical standards.
- Light and easy playable intermediate soprano saxophone will fit beginners who make the first steps.
- Birdland sopranos saxophone also helps professional musicians to enhance repertoire.
- Curved soprano saxophone comes with all needed for playing: mouthpiece, ligature, cap, strap etc.
This is a great pick for beginners. Whether you are a student or an enthusiast, most report the build and the sound of this curved sax is really good. The gold color is quite appreciated by most. If this is your first time, Birdland might be a good choice. Easy on the eyes and easy on the weight as well.
SKY Bb Curved Soprano Sax
- High F# key
- Engraved bell
- Leather pads with mother-of-pearl finger buttons
- Gold lacquer brass body with gold lacquer keys
- Accessories included: mouthpiece, cap, ligature, neck strap, cleaning rod, two #2.5 reeds, hard case
Sky Music is the brand behind this curved soprano sax. It comes with a mouthpiece, neck strap and a bunch of other stuff. If you are new aka a beginner, this is another well-respected soprano sax out there right now. There seems to be some confusion with the users but the best way to clear that is by directly contacting the seller. Always go straight to the source to solve your problem.
Herche Superior Alto Sax
- THIS SAXOPHONE IS PERFECT FOR THE STUDENT AND INTERMEDIATE PLAYER. No junk here. The Herche saxophone produces a professional tone and every note is in-tune (great intonation). We construct the entire instrument from solid brass for true tone and durability. We set-up each instrument in our USA facility in Wilmington, DE. Our family business has been here for 30 years and we have strong roots in the music community.
- PLAY WITH OPEN UNRESTRICTED SOUND. Extended side Bb key makes it easier to play - durable leather pads - metal resonators - blue steel springs - professional ribbed construction - Complete with case and accessories.
- MUSICAL INSTRUMENT WITH CLASSIC DESIGN, BUILT TO LAST A LIFETIME. - Herche Saxophones endure demanding practice and performance schedules. Ribbed construction provides key stability. Tarnish resistant lacquer finish.
- SAXOPHONE BACK-PACK STYLE CASE Includes Bonus Cleaning Kit - Open our plush-lined, protective case to reveal items carefully selected to enhance your experience. Saxophone cork grease to lubricate the mouthpiece joint. Cleaning swab to remove accumulated bore and key condensation. Two thin vamp cut #2 Rico reeds makes playing easy.
- UNPARALLELED SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - For over 30 years, we have earned the reputation of providing quality, consistency and exceptional service to countless musicians throughout the world. Our saxophones have been bench-tested and adjusted by Master Technicians in the USA. We are here to support your saxophone needs and offer a one-year free maintenance and repair plan plus a 3-year warranty. Our repair department will repair and return your instrument with speed.
Eastar AS-Ⅱ Student Alto Sax
- 🎷 Beautiful Sound -- professional tone adjustment before leaving factory , excellent sound quality without noise, pleasant surprise. No pressure from low to high gamut range transition.
- 🎷 Top Material -- instruments dedicated copper, lead-free welding green craft, feel free to use. Advanced imported leather pads, high air tightness, Imported blue copper needle spring, moderate elasticity, not aging, high feedback when finger pressing.
- 🎷 Amazing look -- Eastar AS -Ⅱ: Transparent lacquered gold, multi-layer painted ,durable and barely to fade color. Faux mother of pearl inlaid keys are simple and generous. The handcrafted carvings of the bell mouth makes AS -Ⅱ perfect even more perfect
- 🎷 Practical Design -- Full bounding key stick gasket for longer life and better pressing feel. Keystroke link: all being applied oil for debugging before leaving the factory , preventing the link from rusting and getting stuck.Setting the F# key to suit the performance.The U-tube of the bass is adopted: Eastar has accumulated crafts experiences for many years to improve the stability of the bass and achieve a stable feeling of playing and resistance.
- 🎷 Package Contents -- Eastar AS -Ⅱ saxophone, Carrying Case ,Mouthpiece Set, Real Leather Strap (110lb limit), Cork Grease,Shoulder Strap x 2,White Gloves, Resin Practice Reed x 1, Advanced Bulrush Reeds (Strength 2.5 ), Soft Swab, Soft Cloth, Cleaning Brush,Hard Saxophone Stand. Unique Serial-number for every Eastar AS -Ⅱ.12-Month Product Warranty.
Curved Soprano Sax Brands
Just like acoustic guitars and a few other things, Yamaha is the king of sopranos as well. However, in this list, you’ll find the “NEW” guys that are definitely making a dent in the curved soprano sax world.
These guys don’t necessarily specialize in soprano sax brands but since they’ve entered it, a lot of people in the market have been taken by storm. Hawk is a brand that makes all kinds of products and now you can add a curved soprano sax to the list as well. They are kind of an unknown in the music world so let’s see how things pan out. One thing is for sure, so far the response to them by most has been quite admirable. Let’s hope they continue this winning streak.
Birdland Music Instruments
Another up and coming brand but unlike Hawk, these guys actually specialize in musical instruments. Seems to be a newcomer in the curved soprano game, the Birdland team has released a surprisingly well-liked curved soprano sax. We’ve even featured it on our list above. Believe it or not, looks like these guys hail from Russia. Love to see some new countries get in the musical instrument game. The more the better.
These guys have been doing a great job with making classical music. They kind of fly under the radar but make great products including violins and curved saxophone for beginners and total first timers.
Love to see one of their instruments really breakthrough the market and bring more limelight to this brand. Definitely looking forward to where these guys are headed in the near future.
Anatomy of a Curved Soprano Sax
Although all you have to do is blow in one, a saxophone is actually quite a sophisticated musical instrument. Let’s have a look at the main parts that make up a curved soprano sax.
Literally made from cork-like material, the neck cork is placed on the other end of your mouthpiece which is connected to the rest of your saxophone. The neck cork plays an essential role by keeping all the air in the saxophone when you start blowing on it.
Attached to the neck of the saxophone, this is where the player places their lips or “mouth”. Hence the name. The mouthpiece is attached to the neck cork.
Designed to hold the reed which is also located in the mouthpiece.
Refers to the neck of the saxophone (The curvy mouthpiece area). Some people refer to this part as the “gooseneck”. Due to the shape.
Located near the octave key. Helps to hold the octave key in place.
Refers to the longest part of the sax. Some people also call it the back of the saxophone.
Helps to raise the octave of the notes that you may play on a sax. Helps to create a more dynamic sound.
Screw that goes around the neck area to make sure everything stays put.
These are like buttons but they are actually keys on a saxophone. Just blow into the mouthpiece, press the buttons and you’ll hear the played sounds.
The part where the sound comes out (The giant hole) is known as the bell. Sounds better than a ‘giant hole’ right?
Helps protect your keys in case you drop your sax during a love performance or while just practicing.
This is basically the base of the trumpet or the bottom part of it.