What is the first thing you think of when a Ukulele comes to mind? Hawaii? Serenading your special someone to a love song?
For most people it does but regardless of what attracted you to a Soprano ukulele, one thing is for sure, this little stringed instrument (Smallest of all ukuleles including Tenor, Baritone and Concert) will immediately put smiles on people’s faces.
Let’s get right into it.
Also did you know the real local Hawaiian pronunciation of the word Ukulele is “oo-koo-lay-lay”.
Pretty unique eh?
Plus a lot of people refer to ukuleles as ‘ukes’. It’s just a little nickname for these wonderful little guys.
Best Soprano Ukulele Brands
There are literally hundreds of ukulele brands out there. However, I will only showcase the most popular ones. I’m sure any soprano ukulele from one of the following brands would work out just fine.
One of the top selling ukulele brands of all time. You can’t go wrong with this one. Kala produces ukuleles for kids, adults and everyone in between.
Overall, their ukuleles are known for quality, being long lasting and come in all the major wood types like mahogany (The most popular wood type), koa (Considered the best type of wood for ukulele), spruce, cedar, rosewood and maple.
If design or the look of a ukulele is important to you (Perhaps you want to gift a ukulele to someone), than nothing beats Luna. Their ukuleles come with some incredible unique designs.
The ‘exotic’ factor that Luna brings to the table has also helped them carve their own niche in the ukulele industry. To put it simply, Luna ukes make beautiful ukuleles that create wonderful sound and . . . lasting memories.
Oscar Schmidt by Washburn
If quality is important to you get a Oscar Schmidt soprano ukulele. They have some great beginner ukuleles but I would recommend this brand more for intermediates. Although they do have a great line of beginner ukuleles, I’ve found as a first timer, you can easily get by with a Luna or Kala uke.
As far as experience goes, Oscar Schmidt has been making stringed musical instruments (Banjos, Guitars, etc) since 1872 so you can’t argue with that. They do make premium products mostly so if that’s more of you cup of tea, an Oscar Schmidt is what you need (Wow that rhymed).
The birthplace of the Ukulele. Lanikai is another great brand for ukulele players of all level After all, who else can make a better uke than a company from Hawaii right? Lanikai focuses more on the intermediate to pro uke player’s needs than a beginner like yourself.
This doesn’t mean they don’t have some good beginner ukulele models that will appeal to you. Most of their ukes are also in the mid range or higher so if budget is an issue, you might want to start off with a Kala or Luna ukulele.
Highly recommended for beginners as their ukes are light when you pick them up and light on the wallet as well. They make great entry level and professional ukuleles. Mahalo ukuleles was founded in 1999 and they have not looked back since. In fact, in 2013, they sold their two millionth ukulele.
Like the Luna, the Mahalo brand also produces some very unique looking ukuleles so at the end of the day, you now have two quality ‘creative’ brands to choose from.
If you are an intermediate and looking to go to the next level, Cordoba is your brand. I like to call this the Ferrari type brand of ukuleles.
The amount of professional ukulele players that use this brand is staggering like Carlos Gallardo-Candia, The Gipsy Kings (Yes THE Gipsy Kings), Brian Spainhower and the list goes on. If this is the level that you are trying to reach with your ukulele skills than look no further.
Martin & Company
Well if you want the Bentley of Ukuleles, this is the brand for you. Quality comes with price and as far as the first part is concerned, Martin and Company got it covered and than some. After all, they’ve been in the game for close to 200 years. With the likes of Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, John Mayor and many more, Martin ukuleles have been used by some of the greatest musicians in human history.
Below are our picks for the best soprano ukulele for beginners. Spend some time here so you can find a quality uke for yourself.
Kala Soprano Ukulele
- Kala Color Chord Ukulele has color-coded fretboard inlays that show you where to put your fingers to form chords - all designed with the beginner in mind.
- Free Online Lessons with Emily Arrow that are fresh, engaging, and relevant for todays beginner ukulele player.
- Patterned after our Waterman Ukulele, the Kala Color Chord Soprano Ukulele is durable and easy to clean - great for students, parents, and teachers!
- Free Kala Ukulele App with Tuner includes hundreds of songs to follow along with and learn.
- Comes with high-quality Aquila Nylgut strings from Italy and precise tuning pegs.
This is one slick looking soprano ukulele kit. Don’t be intimidated by the all black colors on this one, it actually comes in 6 other colors as well. I mean I don’t mind looking cool every once in a while but a black ukulele? Aren’t ukuleles suppose to be happy music instruments? I can understand a black on black bass guitar but I guess to each it’s own. It’s nice to have the option though right?
Anyways, once you pick your color, it’s time to put in some work. This entire set is designed with the beginner player in mind and that’s why it comes with color codes on it’s fretboard (Neck of the guitar where you put your fingers).
The Kala brand is already known for quality and producing a great sound in the ukulele market so it’s really nice to see them focus on beginners like this as well. Going back to the color codes, this ukulele comes with it’s own app (That’s right) so you can play your favorite songs using the color codes on the fretboard.
Great way to practice no doubt. They also offer free online lessons so now there is no excuse to not learn how to play a Soprano ukulele. As far as the sound goes, most experienced ukulele players suggest that it’s not as loud but still perfect for casual play around the campfire, etc. All and all, great for beginners.
Donner Soprano Ukulele
- Traditional Soprano Ukulele with mahogany back&side and spruce top bring you richer and brighter sound
- Rosewood fingerboard and bridge provides a comfortable playing feel
- Smooth and accurate, Donner patented chrome-plated guitar style tuners to keep your ukulele always in tune
- Unique design on fingerboard : Auspicious Clouds and the top mark Sun Logo
- Comes with ukulele bag, ukulele strap, carbon nylon string and digital clip-on tuner,ukulele picks as gifts
The Dus-31 soprano ukulele by Donner produces a nice bright sound. All thanks to the nice mahogany construction. Surprisingly, this soprano is great for people with slightly large hands as well (Since sopranos usually tend to be smaller in size). Overall, this is a great complete ukulele package as well with one minor downside. Despite the overall great quality of Donner products, the thin strap it comes with could really use an upgrade. Other than that, it’s great for not just beginners but experts as well. The only thing not included is a nice one month all inclusive trip to Waikiki.
Kala KA 15s Soprano Ukulele
- Mahogany body and neck
- 12 Brass Frets with Fret position Marks at 5th,7th and 10th frets on neck and top of fingerboard
- Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge
- Satin Finish and Geared tuners
- Pre-strung with Premium AQUILA NYLGUT Strings
One of the soprano ukuleles that are on the lower end of the price spectrum, yet equally match with most of the higher end ukuleles out there. Great starter ukulele but there are issues with tuning it properly. I feel like some people have issues with that and some don’t so at this stage, although I recommend it, if you are not use to tuning stringed instruments before, it’s best to skip this one for now.
Beginner Mahogany Soprano Ukulele
- 【Advanced Tuner】Closed 18:1 pure copper gear (rather than poor quality brass-plated zinc alloy). Finer and more stable tuning ensures the ukulele has the best intonation and stays in tune longer.
- 【Quality String】Installed with advanced carbon nylon string to ensure the ukulele an accurate tone.
- 【Life Time Free String Replace】 if there is any problem with the strings of your ukulele.
- 【Lower Action】easy play without buzzing. Smooth fretwire avoids scratching. 15 frets with flat space make playing this ukulele comfortable.
- 【 6 - in - 1】This vintage soprano mahogany Hawaiian ukulele comes with starter pack :gig bag, tuner, strings, strap and booklet so beginner can begin practice immediately. Excellent as a gift.
Kmise went out of there way to get this soprano ukulele package together. Probably one of the most well reviewed ukulele – period, this kit contains everything you need and then some. Let’s talk about the ukulele first though . . . like most ukuleles here, this one is another quality instrument.
However, it’s all about the little things. Like the tuners on this uke actually have some covering on it. Which makes it unique and give them an added bit of protection / style. A cool look overall. As far as the sound goes, it’s loud and produces a nice vibration. Another killer soprano uke package.
Kala KA 15s Soprano Ukulele
- The Kala Mahogany Series Ukulele offer a full-bodied tone with plenty of Sweet Highs and Mellow Lows that combine for a full rich sound
- The Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele offers a fresh approach to ukuleles. The KA-15S has a Mahogany top, back and sides
- This Soprano Ukulele pumps out a lot of sound despite its diminutive size, and the all-mahogany construction delivers a tone that is bright, yet warm with enough volume that you will be heard while playing with a group
- Kala Soprano ukulele A satin finish gives the KA-15S Ukulele an antique, well-played in feel. Guitar players will appreciate the low action and the ease of playability.
- Soprano Ukulele kit A set of die-cast tuning machines complete this attractive package included Case Ukulele kit, Play Ukulele, Cheap ukulele, Ukulele parts, sopranos complete series, aquila soprano ukulele
Mahogany body with the Kala name behind, here is another solid wood (Not veneer) uke to help you get in the game and fast. The KA 15S even comes with a nice case. I don’t recommend that you use it if you are flying or what not (Hard ukulele cases are better for those) but if you are just bouncing around town, or hopping around your friends from one beach to another, this case works just fine.
Although a great package for beginners, once you start getting good at it, just make sure to upgrade the stock strings. This way you’ll really bring out the sound from this little wonder.
Donner Soprano Ukulele
- Traditional soprano Ukulele with mahogany body and four advanced carbon nylon string
- Mahogany body and neck bring you richer and brighter sound; Rosewood fingerboard and bridge provides a comfortable playing feel
- Smooth and accurate, Donner patented chrome-plated guitar style tuners to keep your ukulele always in tune.
- 15 Brass Frets with Fret position Marks at 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th frets on neck and top of fingerboard.
- Comes with ukulele bag, ukulele strap, carbon nylon string and digital clip-on tuner,ukulele picks as gifts.
Donner has introduced this traditional soprano ukulele that comes with get this . . . patented guitar tuners. What’s so amazing about that? It means you hardly ever need to tune this guitar. This automatically makes this is a great soprano style ukulele for beginners. Although I would argue that isn’t tuning your own ukulele part of the fun?
Well at least for me it is. Regardless, Donner has made another gem of a ukulele and this DUS-1 model won’t disappoint most people. Sounds quite clean when you play high no Also knowing that the tuner comes with it’s own batteries, just makes it extra special.
I mean how often to do you come across a ukulele that uses special “cured” wood? I find this extra fascinating because it reminds me of how Cuban cigars are cured. It truly speaks to the longevity of this ukulele as some people have owned this model for years. Perhaps the Donner DUS-1 can be considered the “Cohiba” of ukuleles? I’ll smoke to that.
Mahalo Rainbow Soprano Ukulele
- Complete strater pack: Soprano ukulele, carrying bag, and Ukulele Bartt digital lesson download
- Canadian NuBone XB Bridge Saddle for enhanced low frequency bass response and resonance
- Strung with Italian Aquila Nylgut Strings
- Gold-Plated Dolphin Shaped Tuning Machine Heads
- NOTE: Kindly refer the Instructional Video from the Image Section before use which is highly recommended.
Dear artsy friends, this Uke is for you. Probably the most number of colors you can find in a ukulele (Or any stringed instrument) for that matter. Try 11 different colors. However, don’t let the many color choices take away from the fact that this is a real professional soprano ukulele.
Mahalo ukuleles are usually considered great for entry level enthusiasts or if you want to get your little one involved in music. Overall a great package but I would recommend you upgrade to better strings. Perhaps learn how to tune a soprano ukulele first so you can do it yourself. Seems to be an issue with a few ukuleles in the market.
Hricane Beginner Soprano Ukulele
- In order to keep kids' health and their interested in playing instruments, we have made the carbon atom of the Nylon string of a musical instrument grouped in different ways. And such sorting makes the music wire softer than before. The music wire needs 3 to 5 to keep stable during the attunement period and then it will be gradually entering blissful circumstances.
- The natural wood will not cause the same problems as paint does when kids touch the instrument. And our logos on the instruments are carved by human, which is more stereo and not easy to fall off, so that the kids will not eat the falling off parts of the instrument by accident.
- The length of the 21 inches ukulele likes the length of your arm when kids hold it, it will be the same as the kids hug your arm. But when kids hold 26 inches ukulele, it will look like that the kids hug your leg.
- 30 days money back 12 months seller's guarantee against manufacturer defects from date of purchase,and 24 Hours friendly customer service! YOU ARE WORTH IT!
- We would love to group up together with kids while accompanied by the music.
Seems to be a favorite for people who like to bring their ukelele along with them during their travels. Solid construction and sound and doesn’t need to be tuned quite often either. Now that does sound like the perfect sidekick to your next adventure.
Good job Hricane. Another rare ukulele brand that is passionate about their products. A great size for beginners who struggle with small ukuleles. Nothing is more annoying than learning to play music on instruments that just don’t work. Well this is the opposite.
Huwawind Beginner Soprano Ukulele
- Soprano Ukulele:Traditional soprano uke takes its design from traditional hawaiian body ornamentation ，painted in a variety of beautiful colors.Best choice as a gift for children and beginners.
- Ukulele Structure:The soprano ukulele combines selected fine basswood for the body, solid wood for the neck and blackwood for the finger board and bridge. Eco-friendly design will make it your favorite musical instrument.
- Starter Kit:The waterproof nylon bag offers great protection and portability, the clip-on tuner with LED display helps you to tune easily,The polishing cloth can keep the soprano ukulele clean,the extra string gives you one more choice,and the plectrums are simply gifts.
- Crafted From Fine: Chrome-plated guitar style tuners with plastic buttons, soft nylon strings will give you a good play feeling. Better quality strings are replaced according to customers' feedback.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE:60 days money back, 12 months seller's guarantee against manufacturer defects from date of purchase,and 24 Hours friendly customer service! YOU ARE WORTH IT!
This one comes in two colors. Black and the classic brown. Great overall package for kids and beginners, this soprano uke by Huawind is lightweight and sturdy (“Plasticy” feel to it). Once you start playing properly, I do recommend that you upgrade as its on of those ‘does the job’ kind of deal. Great for the first timer, but not when you want to improve further.
ADM Soprano Ukulele
- EASY TO PLAY - Selected basswood fingerboard and bridge offers both sturdy construct and smooth touch that you can roll over the frets freely on the nylon strings whether playing chords or single notes
- TRUST & QUALITY - With basswood top, linden back and side, our soprano ukulele offers a bright and distinctive tone whether you solo, play along with singing, or jam with friends
- ALL-IN-ONE - The waterproof nylon bag offers great protection and portability; The clip-on tuner with LED display helps you to tune easily; The hook-in strap allows you to play in standing position; The polishing cloth can keep it clean; The extra string gives you one more choice; And the plectrums are simply gifts
- EVERYONE CAN PLAY - Children or adults, novices or professionals, the ukulele is suitable for everyone who starts to play a musical instrument. Our soprano ukulele together with the beginners pack is your best choice
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE within one month and extra ONE YEAR WARRANTY against manufacture's defects.
One of the best beginner soprano packages here. Love the option of choosing from 5 different colors. When you see a ukulele package that comes in many colors, it basically meant for kids or the budding enthusiast. That said, this model by ADT is actually praised by a lot of professional and amateur musicians alike. Especially it’s construction which plays a key role in creating a nice sound.
Overall it’s a great instrument but make sure you tighten up the strings when it arrives. Seems to go out of tune a lot. More than usual. That said, still highly recommended for kids and a wonderful package to give as a gift.
Anatomy of a Soprano Ukulele
Head: Contains the 4 Tuners and also known as the top of the guitar.
Tuners: Part of pretty much every stringed instruments. The strings are wrapped around each tuner and when adjusted, the desired sound / key is achieved.
Nut: Serves as a ‘bridge’ that separates the neck from the head of a soprano ukulele.
Fret Markers: Frets represents the placement of certain notes on the ukulele.
Fretboard: Top part (Usually black) part of a ukulele’s neck. Frets are found on this black part hence the name ‘Fretboard’.
Body: This is the heard of a soprano ukulele. It also contains the sound hole that creates the sound in the first place.
Saddle: Opposite end of the head that holds the strings down.
Bridge: The saddle is placed on the bridge.
Sound Hole: The hollowed out part of a soprano ukulele. As mentioned earlier, when you strum a ukulele, this is where the sound is produced.
Neck: A very important part of the ukulele as it connects the head and body together.
What is the difference between a concert and soprano ukulele?
Main difference is the size. Concert ukulele is a bit bigger at 23” and the Soprano is the smallest at 21”. That’s how big it is (Give or take a few centimetres). Concert ukulele is the most popular size. As far as the battle of soprano vs concert ukulele goes, there isn’t any. Just pick the size that’s right for you. Men usually go for Concert, kids usually go for Soprano. Pick whichever one you like.
Is a soprano ukulele good for beginners?
Soprano ukulele is great for beginners but only if you’re a kid or have small hands. The most popular ukulele for beginner is the concert size. Seems to be good for full grown adults (Men and women) and the kids as well. Overall Soprano’s are usually good.
How many frets does a soprano ukulele have?
On average, around 12 to 15. If you don’t know what a fret is, frets are those little black rectangles on most stringed instruments. Hence the word ‘Fretboard’.
Are soprano ukuleles good?
Depends on which one you get but overall, they’re the second most popular type of ukuleles out there. First one being concert ukuleles.
What is the best soprano ukulele?
This really depends on your own preference. Generally speaking though if a soprano ukulele is built solid, Is made by a brand that has a good reputation and the model itself has some decent reviews, than you can consider it one of the best ukuleles on the market.
A good start would be though to find a ukulele that is a perfect fit for you “physically”. Few other things to consider would be the sound created of course and how the strings feel when you strum them.
Set the end of the day the best soprano ukulele that’s the one that fits the best for you. The only way to achieve that is to try out different models are you just might get lucky with your first one. Don’t worry though, when it comes to picking the best soprano ukulele, you don’t have to kiss a lot of frogs.
What are the best strings for a soprano ukulele?
Nylon strings are the best for a soprano ukulele. To be honest, I believe nylon strings are the best for any ukulele. They produce a certain sound that to most people create that typical “Hawaiian style” ukulele sound that we all love and crave. there are a few other options but I just don’t think they are necessary. especially for a beginner or casual user such as yourself. Other types of ukulele strings come in animal guts (Goat, Sheep, etc), Fluorocarbon (Same material as common fishing lines) and synthetic gut strings.
How do you tune a soprano ukulele (4 Strings)
Soprano ukulele are tuned in the GCEA format. Regardless the brand (Makala or not), this is just the standard string layout for them.
Compare this to the scale on a piano or keyboard which is CDEGGABC. As you can see, on a ukulele, tuning a ukulele is a little bit different.
Concert and tenor sized ukuleles are tuned in the same format by the way. You can even do some tuning by ear if your music understanding is a bit deeper than most. Like in this Youtube video:
Tuning with a guitar tuner is fun too as you can literally see which note the current string is in. When you’re using an electric tuner, you use it in the same way like with any guitar.
So next time you’re thinking, how do I tune my soprano ukulele? Now you know exactly how to do it.
Can you tune a soprano ukulele to dgbe?
Ofcourse you can. You can tune it to anything you like but should you? DGBE is the standard tuning for baritone ukuleles so doing it for a soprano really wouldn’t make any sense. So can you tune it to DGBE? Yes. Should you? Not really.
Can you tune a baritone ukulele like a soprano?
As I mentioned above. Yes but you shouldn’t. The reason it’s called a Baritone is because of it’s size and the way the strings are arranged. So if you want to tune a soprano ukulele to a baritone or vice versa, you could but why?
Do soprano and concert ukuleles tuned the same way?
Yes. Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukulele are tuned the exact same way. Their string settings are GCEA
How to tune a soprano ukulele online?
There are lots of sites today that offer these services and to my surprise, can be fairly accurate.
Some of the main ones can be easily found on Google.
How to tune a soprano ukulele to a baritone?
To tune a soprano to a baritone, simply change the tuning from GCEA to DGBE.
How to tune a soprano ukulele with a chromatic tuner?
The same way you would with another regular ukulele or guitar tuner. Just make sure you know what string formation you want before getting your “tuning” on.
How to tune a soprano ukulele with a piano?
This is similar to how to tune your ukulele online. Just keep playing the note until you can mimic it on your ukulele.
How to tune a soprano ukulele with a tuner?
To tune a soprano ukulele, you need to do it the same way you would with a guitar. Simply attach the tuner
What is a soprano ukulele tuned to?
To tune a soprano ukulele, you need the strings to be in the GCEA format. From the top to the bottom of your playing position. If you are left handed, simply tune it the opposite way.
How long is a soprano ukulele?
A soprano uke is about 21 inches.
Last update on 2018-11-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API