One of the most popular types of car speakers are the 6×9 speakers.
What the heck are 6×9 speakers doing on a music production site?
Did you know that after you finish a track, one of the best place to test if your track is is mixed and mastered properly is on car speakers?
In fact, in the music production world, we refer to this as ‘The car test’.
Which means playing your track in a car and if you got a good system with some subs and stuff, well that just makes things even better.
John: “Bro! Did you do a “car test” on your latest track?”.
Eric: “Yeah bud, I suck . . .I’m quitting on life now”
John: “That’s sad . . . Can I have your midi controller?”.
So if you’re looking for 6×9 speakers that will help your listen to your own tracks or just music in general, you found the right place.
6×9 speakers just happen to be the most popular type of car speakers because they are small enough to fit in most vehicles and big enough to give you awesome sound.
The best six by nine car speakers should be able to deliver great sound, look sleek and they better last a lifetime (Or at least a long time at the very least).
Rockford Fosgate 6×9 Speakers
- The Prime R169X3 is a pair of 6" x 9" 3-Way Full Range Speakers that are ideal for that factory speaker upgrade you've been looking for
- These 4-Ohm 3-way speakers, with an integrated tweeter crossover, have a power handling of 65 Watts RMS / 130 Watts Max
- The 6" x 9" speakers have a mounting depth of 2.85" and come with grilles and mounting hardware. Nominal Impedance (Ohms)- 4-Ohm
- Perfect for replacing factory speakers, they feature polypropylene cones, a silk dome Piezo tweeter and midrange
- Famous Rockford Fosgate build quality with a full 1-year warranty when purchased from an authorized Rockford Fosgate reseller
Guys we personally love this brand because back in high school, it was Rockford Fosgate that everybody wanted. Although it’s been a million years since then, Rockford Fosgate is still one of the most popular brands in the 6×9 speakers game.
So who should get these?
Well if this is your first time upgrading from your stock speakers, these appear to be one of the most popular choices out there. If you are just looking to upgrade your current car audio system, the Rockford Fosgate R169 seem to be a shoe in.
Most people install these either in the front doors so that would be a pretty sweet spot for these bad boys. Just make sure you know how to install 6×9 speakers or the sound may downright suck for you.
JBL 6×9 Speakers
- 6 x 9-inch three-way loudspeaker pair.
- Plus One woofer cone with rubber surround
- Adjustable mylar-titanium tweeter and supertweeter with level control
- 300 Watts peak power handling; 2 ohm impedance
- Three-inch mounting depth
JBL is another respected brand in the car audio world and these 6×9 speakers don’t disappoint. The GTO939 is being reported by many as one of the best 6×9 speakers because of it’s clear sound and bass as well. If you don’t have subs yet, these speakers can’t help you manage until you do.
A few users do recommend you get an amp to really appreciate these speakers.
All in all, it just may be the speakers that you’ve been looking for and best part, apparently it’s one of the easiest of car audio speakers to install.
Infinity Kappa 6×9 Speakers
- Power Handling 135W RMS, 405W peak Sensitivity (@ 2. 83V) 94dB
- Frequency Response 35Hz - 35kHz
- Voice Coil Diameter 1-7/16 in. (35mm)
- Impedance 2. 5 ohms
- 2 x Speakers 2 x Grilles 2 x Spacers 2 x
When we first came across this brand, we thought it was made by Infinity the car company but no . . . Infinity Kappa is speaker making company and they sure made a statement with the 693.11 car speakers.
They are slowly becoming known as the Pioneer killer because of sound clarity (Especially in the mid-range).
Also the bass these little guys produce have a lot of speaker enthusiasts singing their praise.
Good job Inifnity Kappa and looking forward to seeing what this company can do in the future as well.
Pioneer 6×9 Speakers
- TS-A6990F 6"x9" 5-Way Coaxial Speaker + Magnet Holder
- 700 Watts Max Power (120 Watts Nominal)
- Triple polyethylene terephthalate (PET) hard dome tweeter
- 2-1/4" polyetherimide (PEI) film cone midrange
- 6 x 9" carbon and mica reinforced Injection Molded Polypropylene (IMPP) cone construction
Pioneer have been killing the game for quite some time now in various categories. Well us car audio lovers feel the same about them here as well. The TS-A6990F speakers are pretty loud and very clear according to most who’ve tried them (Some simply love the clarity).
We’d love to go and an on but hey . . . It’s a Pioneer 6×9 speaker (This one is a pair), what else can you expect?
Rockford R169X2 6×9 Speakers
- Vacuum Polypropylene cone
- Rubber surround
- Silk dome flush mounted tweeter
- Integrated tweeter crossover
- Grilles and mounting hardware included
Here is another model by Rockford Fosgate. The R169X2. This is probably the most popular Rockford Fosgate 6×9 speaker around.
With well over 2000 reviews like . . . wow.
Most get these to upgrade their stock car audio system but it really depends on what your needs are.
At the end of the day, most end up loving this part of car audio speakers. They only complain we’re heard about these guys is the design can definitely be improved on. Especially when you are trying to slide in a certain spot on your car door, etc.
Infinity 6×9 Speakers
- Plus OneTM woofer cone
- 3.0 Ohms Impedance
- Sensitivity: 94 dB
If you are into nice clean sound and not a big fan of a sub, you should definitely check out the Infinity REF 9623. They might have just enough bass for you. Best place to put these 6×9 speakers would be the front of the car and for most, they seem to be pretty easy to install. If Pioneer is an established brand in this game of car audio speakers, well then Infinity is definitely gaining some respect and they getting it quick.
Infinity KAPPA-93iX 6×9 Speakers
- Power Handling: 110Wrms, 330W peak Sensitivity (@ 2.83V): 96dB
- Frequency Response: 35Hz - 30kHz
- Voice Coil Diameter: 1-1/16inch (35mm)
- Impedance: 2.5 ohms
The Infinity KAPPA-93iX are part of the Kappa family. You know what that means . . . big sound. If you ever thought that you needed an amp to have that giant sound, well these monsters from Infinity just might be what the doctor ordered.
Not only do most a get a big sound out of these little guys but the clarity and the bass balance is just music to your ears. Most big sounding speakers may rattle things in your car but if you tune these guys properly, then you don’t have to worry about that either.
A great choice if you don’t want to invest in an additional amp. Though and amplifier can always take things to the next level.
Rockford Fosgate P1694 6X9 Speakers
- FlexFit basket design|OEM adapter plate included|PEI dome tweeter|Butyl rubber surround|Mineral-filled & polypropylene injection molded cone|1 Year|Standard Warranty
- 6-by-9-inch full-range speaker with 150 watts maximum power handling (75 watts RMS)
- Mineral-filled and polypropylene injection molded cone with butyl rubber surround
- PEI dome tweeter with built-in crossover
- Flex Fit basket allows slight adjustment of the speaker when mounted , Tweeter Size - 0.75 inches
This is another beauty by Rockford Fosgate and the model number is P1692. Super clean sound as voted by many users and the bass sounds great as well. Overall it has great highs, great lows and is fun to install for a good chunk of people. To be honest, Rockford Fosgate hit a home run with this one.
Kenwood KFC 6995PS 6×9 Speakers
Kenwood is a brand that came about a while ago but their speakers are still one of the best. This Kenwood KFC 6995PS is part of the same pedigree.
In fact, these are one of the best speakers on the list here. Super clear, loud thumping bass (Without a sub) and well . . . it’s Kenwood. Of course, some people will always find issues with these speakers but overall, if you’re a beginner, these just might become your favorite 6×9 speakers.